Saturday, November 14, 2009

Online colleges?

Why would anyone enlist to an online college? Arn't the degrees worth less then even a community college' degree equivalent (not saying there is a problem with community college)? The credits for online colleges are non-transferable...? Online colleges are just as expensive (in some cases MORE expensive) then community? I mean, colleges are very flexible but there has to be a better option then shady online colleges.





And before I let you guys go, you have seen those Astrive commercials right? Need money for college?


a.) Search the couch for cash


b.) Sell ad space


c.) Play the Lottery


d.) Call astive student loans


What ever happened to


e.) Get a goddamn job


Right? I wonder what the interest rates are for these oh so great loans.

Online colleges?
I think, perhaps, one of the major reasons is the convenience of being able do so anywhere you are (as illustrated by the blogger before me). As long as you have internet access, much is possible. I just recently enrolled in an MBA program online. It is a great and challenging experience so far, but I opted to attend some of the classes in person too (a "hybrid" class). In business in particular, human interactions face-to-face is helpful.





I am sure each online experience might be different too. You may have to do some homework there. One thing I have discovered is that in order for the online class format to be effective, one has to be really proactive about participating online--you cannot be passive. In a conventional class, you casually run into people on campus, but with the online experience, of course, the interaction is virtual and you need to take some initiative However, the fact that you are blogging here is an indication you may be ready for such a format.





Distance learning/e-learning fascinates me. I have not thoroughly investigated all that is possible yet, but I am curious to see what's out there now and in the future.





Hope this helps.
Reply:I have a friend in Afghanistan that does the University of Phoenix online. He's actually doing really well and the course are just like the courses I trudged through when I went to school in Colorado...





I don't see anything shady about them... a little costly, but hey, it beats the heck out of looking for a parking space.

teeth grills

No comments:

Post a Comment