Monday, May 4, 2009

Online programs?

I am stay-at-home mom with twins. I want to get a certificate in Medical Transcription through online because it allows me to work through home. I don't know if its a good idea or not to enroll in online schools. The reason I want to attend online school bcause I don't have no one to leave my twins at; therefore, online degree is a good idea. My husband disagrees with it because it has to do with "online" degree. On the other hand, I don't I think its acceptable and it will give me an opporunity to work onces am done. What do you think of an online schools and what school do you think I should enroll with for Medical Transcription.





Thanks

Online programs?
Medical Transcription, in itself, is not a degree. Therefore it is not necessary to attend a traditional college.





Most employers require years of experience or graduation from an 'approved' school.





AHDI is the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity - www.ahdionline.org (formerly known as the American Association for Medical Transcription). AHDI sets the standards for MT courses. Employers know that graduates of these 'approved' courses have gained the skills necessary to begin their career as an MT.





If your looking into Medical Transcription pay the extra in tuition to attend an 'approved' school. The top three schools are Career Step, Andrews, and M-Tec. Any one of these schools will be a great choice! Attending any other school would be a waste of your time and money. Many people have received training through inadequate programs only to find out that they are unable to find a job.





I attended Career Step and recieved a job (at-home) less than a week after graduating. I've received several more job offers since, but have stuck with my original employer. It can be a difficult job, but I love it!





I recommend CS because they are partnered with MANY employers, self-paced (you can finish in a few months or take as long as over a year or two), and more affordable than the other top 2 courses. Plus, I have personal experience (and success) with the program.





The SUM program is a specific set of dictations that a lot of schools use to train MTs. CS feels that the SUM tapes can become out-dated easily and are not often updated.


CS does not use the SUM tapes. The dictations that are used in the Career Step course are actual doctor dictated reports that are acquired from transcription companies. These dictations are ones that actual transcriptionists are working on in the field. They are updated frequently, so students are getting hands-on practice in the most up-to-date reports with up-to-date terminology.





Attending your local community college will give you a good chance at a job in-house, but if you are wanting to work from home, an online 'approved' course is the way to go. Be sure to do your research BEFORE signing up for any school. The AHDI should be your first stop. I'll put the link below. Just search for 'approved' schools.





CS does offer financial aid and payment plans. :)





Good luck!


Feel free to e-mail me if you have any additional questions! :)
Reply:Please be very wary of online, for profit programs. Previous students of university of phoenix started this site: http://www.uopsucks.com Similar schools to watch out for are strayer, devry, kaplan, kieser, capella. Penn foster and stratford career are other schools that were complained about on this site: http://www.ripoffreport.com and search 'penn foster' or such.





I would instead look at the local community college(s), perhaps the non-credit course, and see if they offer online classes providing that it's accredited within the industry. The county vo-tech school may be quite affordable though don't know if they offer online classes. Please stay away from expensive private schools.





For US colleges: http://www.utexas.edu/world/univ

dental school

2 comments: