Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Are online classes credible, please all help is appreciated?

My name is Alex, recently turned 20 and I am seriously considering taking online classes. I think its more acceptable to ask for help when you need it instead of thinking you know it all. If you could give me your thoughts/experiences with online courses it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you could talk a little bit about the following topics would be even better. I need all the help I can get.





(1) Online classes worth it? Are they expensive?


(2) Do you know any good schools for Computer Programming with good credibility? (ITT TECH, AIU Online etc?


(3) Where can I talk to a counselor?


(4) Any other useful information?





Thanks in advance, also I am Mexican and I want to help support my family. Born and raised in the United States, I love this country. Do I have any type of help from the government grants, student loans?





Senior year accomplishments:


Perfect attendance


Honor roll all 4 quarters


3.5-4.0 gpa.


Graduated 10 out of 93 in my class





Sincerely,


Alex

Are online classes credible, please all help is appreciated?
WIth your credentials, you can get into a real college.





Before you commit to one of those pretend schools, look at this web site http://www.aiutruth.com





%26amp; read this post. It is the most eloqent tirade that I have seen on the subject of pretend online schools


[you can find the original post here: [http://answers.yahoo.com/quest.........





The following was written by "PhD Seeking" (not me)





As someone who's responsible for hiring people at my fortune 100 company, I can honestly say that any resume sporting an on-line degree goes into the "circular file", regardless of their other qualifications.





I have my MBA from a traditional school, and shortly after I graduated and continually until this day, I have been solicited by the UoP to teach on-line business courses for them. While I have several years of work experience (which they didn't know), I was apparently qualified simply because they purchased a mailing list of graduates from my school and saw I had a degree. Not that PhD professors are better teachers, because some of mine really sucked as communicators, but asking people with limited work and educational experience to teach students shows a lack of concern about educational quality, and more about getting an instructor at a cheap price. If you don't believe me, check out the career section on the UoP site or other job boards and you'll see the low standards they set for educators. (see the ad below)





Getting a real degree tells me the applicant can make a long term commitment that requires sacrifice. On-line classes are the ultimate sign of laziness. With all real colleges offering part-time or evening classes, going the on-line route suggests you're looking for the easy way out. Most employers within reputable companies, including myself, won't take a chance.





Lastly, be prepared for the teasing, either publically, or more probably, behind your back, by your co-workers with real degrees.
Reply:Hi Alex,


I have taken online classes in the past and I enjoyed it over traditional class room courses. The freedom to study around my work schedule was great. I would do it again. As for credibility, I believe it would depend on the institution you choose for your courses or degree.


Most colleges will have counselors that you can speak to, but keep in mind that private schools and colleges can be very expensive and sometimes the number 1 priority is to sell their program to you because you bring in big money to the school. (It is not always like this, but I have seen it.) I have worked for a private college and I was frustrated to see admission counselors admit students that clearly wouldn't be successful in a college course, but it was all about the $.


As far as cost goes, again it would depend on the program and school that you choose. Typically, private colleges are most expensive than state colleges. If cost is an issue, you might want to look into any state colleges to see if they have online courses. I have seen more traditional universities add online courses and degrees to their curriculum.


Most courses and degree programs are eligible for financial aid, even if they are online courses. Again, look for accredited programs.


Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment