Monday, November 16, 2009

Online dating phone dilemma?

When I online date, I prefer to keep my communication online. Until we go out. If we continue to date, we can exchange phone numbers then. I have my reasons. I have a moderate to severe hearing loss. I feel uncomfortable being judged on how well I carry on an auditory conversation. I do have a volume control on my home phone. That does help. But, I still struggle with long conversations. I had one man ask me why I haven't called him, or given him my number. I said I wanted to keep our communiction online for now. I don't have a cell phone and use my home phone mainly for business. I prefer to socialize with email. He said that was a red flag, and no number means no date. I said that was fine. No date with him of course. I felt he was rude and out of line, in addition to being ignorant about diversity. I didn't want to be an open book about my challenges before we went out. Now, I no longer date at all. If I decide to go online again to date, how do I get pass this phone issue?

Online dating phone dilemma?
As someone who met their GF online: It is a red flag. But not in a bad way, the person/people are trying to be safe (lots of loons out there and all). So it is a way to sus-out if you are a whacko or not. I do understand your issue with the "phone thing" but I would advice being upfront...Do you want a someone who isn't comfortable with your problems anyways? I wouldn't. So if someone asks just say, " i have a hearing issue, it isn't a MAJOR issue but long phone conversations are problematic for me so I would rather get to know you in person". As for there motivation and advertion; it seems like there are a lot of gay men (no I am not a gay basher, I have just noticed this) interested in meeting straight guys off the internet. So after a long winded answer: honesty is the best policy and the truth will set your libido free;)
Reply:Why don't you just tell people the same thing you wrote here?


No comments:

Post a Comment