Monday, November 16, 2009

Online Class?

So I am taking IS 240- International Studies of India... Introduction to India.... online. I got an internship for the next year and I needed to take a class online. What suggestions do you have for me for this class? I have never taken an online class before and I'm kind of nervous. I really want to get a high grade in this class since it is a general education credit class... What experiences do you have with online classes and what can I do to ensure the best outcome possible?

Online Class?
I LOVE online classes. While completing my undergrad degree in Journalism I completed a minor in Philosophy/Religious Studies JUST through online classes. One big benefit of taking a class online is that you can complete the work (within a scheduled time frame) whenever you want. I know we would receive assignments at the beginning of the course, and then there were two weekly deadlines. All of our posts (usually 5 separate posts discussing questions posted by the professor) were due by, say, Wednesday, then our responses to the posts of others (5 of those as well) were due by that Sunday. My best piece of advice for being successful in the class is to make those deadlines. As I said, it doesn't matter if you're doing your work at 3 a.m. or p.m. - it just matters that you do it within the given time. Another piece of advice is to make your discussions thoughtful - I would read many posts that read as if someone had just regurgitated the information they read - and the professor will often call you out on that. Usually professors have students ask a question at the end of each post as well - this provides questions for other students to answer when they respond to your posts. Make sure that your questions are well thought-out as well. In all honesty, online classes were my favorite, because you are TRULY in control of your grade. Good luck!
Reply:First ensure that it is an accredited school and that successful completion will be accepted by your school. You will be doing a lot of give and take on line with your teacher so treat it as you would treat any classroom class. Your final exam will be sent to your school so they can administer the test. Lots of luck, just treat it as you would any other class and you will be OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment